Sunday, June 15, 2014

Why Python disgusts me

The syntax is ugly, inconsistent, and whitespace-aware. Which is survivable by itself but the 'community' makes it untenable with ivory tower defenses related neologisms like 'pythonic' which means, as far as I can tell, 'we like it that way so nyah.'
I, on the other hand, just want a language that can be read without requiring a deep, memorized grokking of how a damned boolean equation will evaluate depending what data type I happen to be working with.

Ridonculous discussions ensuing from this simple question being a perfect case. Explicitness is, apparently, of less value to these people than 'pythonicness'. There's a reason the symbol 'explicit' has existed in human language rather a lot longer than the symbol 'pythonic'.

I can go from debugging C++ to VB.net to (with a lot of brace counting) LISP to Perl to PHP with more or less minimal hiccups. Python I can barely look at without wondering what the fuck a given statement really means, nevermind trying to actually write something efficient and readable that requires more than one conditional.

No comments: