Sunday, June 15, 2014

Inner Eye

Note: A few weeks after my brain handed me this notion I heard about a presentation at a conference of some Android contact lenses. Funny how things work. Of course, it still took me a few more weeks to put any of this into draft (and then a few more weeks to decide 'fuck it' and hit publish in its present form rather than obsessively cleaning and polishing it...). It's also important to note that this is inspired directly from The Light of Other Days by Arthur C. Clark and Stephen Baxter which uses a more existing science to build the fiction on.
I'm just splashing stuff out here. This is rough first draft and doesn't really amount to much of a story. It's just prose containing some mashed up ideas and some consequences of those ideas.


I woke to the sound of another's breathing. Opening my eyes I did not see my wife, as I expected to, but instead I saw my self. My brain struggled to make understanding out of my senses for a few vertiginous minutes before the faction of rationality finally quashed the faction of 'OMG out of body experience, squee!' and I noticed that my irises were glowing faintly.




The bits behind the 4th wall...
bluetooth cameras at eye corners, auto paired in sleep
sleepers lenses project soothing light onto retina
possible further plot device: cameras detect motion without corresponding signals in sleepers brain, trigger wakefulness

No comments: