Saturday, June 6, 2015

Fuck Microsoft and their little dog too

I just wasted 3 hours trying to get a dev environment past the 3rd setup step. Why? Because VT-x was FUBARed by Hyper-V. 3 fucking hours googling and getting a headache trying to figure out why the Intel(R) Processor Identification Utility tool was saying my hot-shit Surface Pro 3 Core i7 processor didn't support 'Intel(effingR) Virtualization Technology' or Intel (shockingly not Red) VT-x with Extended Page Tables. All the while wondering if my CPU is weirdly broken and going to need an RMA after 6 months of settling into it. As it happens I tried deleting Hyper-V entirely after trying a good half dozen tools and workarounds, looking at the (honetly braindead) Surface BIOS UEFI, and I can't remember what all else. All I needed was to open PowerShell as admin and
Disable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName Microsoft-Hyper-V-All

aka KILLITWITHFIRE

The HabitRPG dev environment uses Vagrant and VirtualBox, which was complaining that VT-x wasn't available and dieing horribly (presumably because it's a 64bit guest). But apparently Hyper-V EATS that part of your CPU so nobody else can use it. Or something. Whatever, don't bore me with the technical details, I just wish someone somewhere had thought to mention the critically important bit that HYPER-V WANTS TO MONOPOLIZE THE PLAYGROUND EQUIPMENT. Anyway. Learned my lesson (I might even remember it next time) and won't be touching Hyper-V ever. Unless by some perverse chance I opt to write something for Windows Phone. Which is incredibly unlikely knowing the debugging will require Hyper-V and thus explicitly ban me from doing a hundred other things. You can pretty much forget about that.
Now the vagrant guest is coming up and, with any luck, the VM I had decided was going to need to be wiped might actually be usable again. GAH, I was just starting to think MS gave a shit about computing in general, what with Community VS and free (sorta) Windows 10 upgrades.

No comments: