Thursday, January 23, 2014

Trading, day 2

Some hiccups getting started, and I'll journal all that when I feel like taking the time, but finally on the 23rd I've opened my first real money positions.

I put in an order to sell a GOOG IC last night, which cleared quite quickly this morning, and an hour or two after open I added a position in SINA. My balance is up 20% which is of course quite misleading but still. I'm satisfied for now. Trading through ETrade, not my first choice, is damned clunky when my research and tracking are done in different places. At the moment I'm doing research using a combination of Dough.com and Thinkorswim and tracking my trades using a Google spreadsheet. It's fugly. I sorely miss being able to look at my activity as a history or transaction log like you can get on TOS. It took me way to long to even find the cash balance on ETrade's site. Damn thing. I'll make it work only as long as I have to.

Anyway, these two were filled today, both to open. :)

.GOOG140222C1200-1
.GOOG140222C12051
.GOOG140222P1120-1
.GOOG140222P11151
filled at $3.10

.SINA140222C80-1
.SINA140222C82.51
.SINA140222P67.5-1
.SINA140222P651
filled at $1.25.

Yeah, that's probably hard to read. Frankly, I don't care. I just copy and paste from my spreadsheet and can't be bothered to pretty it up.

Something I want to do: Find a means of charting the projected market value of an option spread using theta and charm of theta over time to allow me to predict how many days it will take to reach various profit points. Using that I can (in theory) guesstimate what plays will offer me the best return on a per day basis. Hm. Though I may need to upgrade my PC (and my understanding of calculus) to implement it unless there's something that does that already. Anyway, that's a bit of a future consideration. I just want it recorded for now.

No comments: