Monday, July 13, 2009

Semi-Random thoughts

Something that popped into my brain during yesterday's AM service. Sin is exceedingly patient. It consistently creeps up on me, and it doesn't mind feeling defeated. It knows it will eventually impose the same sentiments on me if it just waits patiently.

Fortunately Jesus is also patient, always standing by waiting to help. Always, and perhaps more importantly, willing to patiently forgive and suffer on my behalf.

It also struck me just now that support groups, self-help, accountability regimes, and peer groups may, in fact, be counterproductive. Consider, the only help and support we should need is Jesus. The only one to whom we should be accountable (for spiritual things anyway, worldly accountability is an entirely different and complex topic) is Jesus. There is a danger of leaning too much on man and not enough on Him. At the same time, of course, being a member of such a group reinforces the familial bonds and fellowship which is one of the hallmarks (and commands, if I recall) of a healthy church. Life is just too blindingly complicated, isn't it?

No comments: