Friday, July 17, 2009

Psalm 108

So I slipped. Sorry, at least I'm standing back up.

Anyway. I had quite the deep thought on the way home from work last night (this morning, actually). Unfortunately, it drifted away about the same time my head hit the pillow. I was too tired to mark it down so it's gone. That happens often enough to be quite aggravating. Well, if it was important God will bring it back to me. Or to someone else, it hardly matters.

On to the bread.

Psalm 108 makes me think of military marching chants. It starts with a call to sing and play instruments in praise of God. Then it praises a selection of the tribes of Israel (possibly just the tribes in Judah during the separation, but I haven't confirmed that) and denegrates some enemy nations. Finally it calls on God to assist in overcoming those enemies.

So, I see some real parrallels to "Sound off!" etc. I can imagine David's armies chanting this at the top of their lungs on the march to Edom, or wherever. I'm probably wrong, that's just the impression I get.

Now, I think I'll have to make Matthew wait until the kids are napping. I had enough trouble carving some peace out just to consider this small psalm, nevermind something substantial from the NT.

No comments: